occupy wall street
Like everyone else, we urge you to wash your hands and engage in social distancing.
Unlike everyone else, we urge you to also help with this smart plan to get more tests, ventilators, and PPE. Everyone can do that plan right now, at home, in just 15 minutes.
If enough people help with the plan we can save lives. Take time out now and help get more desperately-needed supplies.
Occupy Wall Street (OWS, Occupiers)
Occupy Wall Street is a movement that - from their perspective - represents 99% of America and stands in opposition to the remainder: the richest 1%. According to OWS, they oppose corruption, the rich having undue influence on politics, and big banks.
According to rightwingers however, OWS are just a bunch of dirty hippies committing crimes in squatter's camps.
Back in the real world, OWS are a leaderless group that has similar issues as the Tea Parties: many of their ideas are fringe; they have the "act out" gene that causes them to want to always put on a show rather than making an argument and showing how they think their opponents are wrong; and they're tools for those they pretend to oppose.
OWS fails basic (U.S.) civics. Just as the Teapartiers want to take the U.S. back to a time that never existed, OWS wants to restore democracy, something that the U.S. has never had and by design. Not even knowing what the U.S. political system is does not speak highly of the intelligence of those involved in the movement.
OWS shows little regard for other fundamental U.S. concepts, such as the speech rights of others. It would be fairly easy for me to show how some of those the Occupiers pretend to oppose are wrong. OWS isn't willing or able to do that: instead of engaging others in debate, they try to shout them down or dump glitter on them. The U.S. has severe problems that require grown-up solutions, yet all OWS has to offer are vague, unworkable ideas and childish pranks.
The alternatives - which have been suggested repeatedly in the posts below and presented without effect to OWS leaders on Twitter - include the Question Authority plan and the plan for policy debates. Both those would go a long way towards cleaning up U.S. politics, but all the Occupiers are so far willing and able to do is to act like kids, shout people down, and dump glitter on them.