A Zogby poll done of Mexicans in Mexico is discussed here. They seem to have buried the lede, so I'll put that shocking revelation first:
* An overwhelming majority (69 percent) of people in Mexico thought that the primary loyalty of Mexican-Americans (Mexico- and U.S.-born) should be to Mexico. Just 20 percent said it should be to the United States. The rest were unsure.
* Also, 69 percent of people in Mexico felt that the Mexican government should represent the interests of Mexican-Americans (Mexico- and U.S.-born) in the United States.
Certainly, some of those who thought that Mexican immigrants should have loyalties to Mexico might change their minds once they get here. However, many or most will not. And, many or most of those here now might disagree. But, anyone who promotes massive immigration or guest workers should be asked about that statistic and what exactly they intend to do about it. Really pressing a political leader on that on video could have an impact on their political career and send a strong message to the others. For a tangible example, instead of throwing tantrums, those who attended Lindsey Graham's townhall could have found the smartest person among them to really press him on that issue.
* A clear majority of people in Mexico, 56 percent, thought giving legal status to illegal immigrants in the United States would make it more likely that people they know would go to the United States illegally. Just 17 percent thought it would make Mexicans less likely to go illegally. The rest were unsure or thought it would make no difference.
* Of Mexicans with a member of their immediate household in the United States, 65 percent said a legalization program would make people they know more likely to go to America illegally.
* Two-thirds of Mexicans know someone living in the United States; one-third said an immediate member of their household was living in the United States.
* Interest in going to the United States remains strong even in the current recession, with 36 percent of Mexicans (39 million people) saying they would move to the United States if they could. At present, 12 to 13 million Mexico-born people live in the United States.
Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:43 · Importance: 8