... (as a plaintiff),
* and smaller local groups.
1. A list of the people involved is at . The complaint is at aclu.org/files/assets/complaint_final.pdf
2. See Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Utah, and Arizona for information on other suits by the same groups together with others.
3. As always, the best way to prevent suits like this is to use the question authority...
... Immigration Lawyers Association
* PRLDEF (a former associated group of Sotomayor)
* Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law (a former associated group of Barack Obama)
* Southern Poverty Law Center
* Service Employees International Union
* National Day Laborer Organizing Network(NDLON)
* National Immigrant Justice Center
* American Immigration Council
* Asian American Justice Center
... she was a board member of the PRLDEF and the National Council of La Raza, both of which are far-left racial power groups. Sonia Sotomayor was also a board member of the first and a member of the second; Obama recently nominated former NCLR president Raul Yzaguirre to another ambassorship; and administration official Cecilia Munoz was an NCLR VP before taking her current job.
A bio follows.
... Sotomayor's former group the PRLDEF:
"For a long time Latinos in Suffolk County felt that the Suffolk County police have been hostile or indifferent to their well-being and that they have not been treated as white residents have been treated,” said Foster Maer, senior litigation counsel for LatinoJustice P.R.L.D.E.F., an advocacy group based in Manhattan that had been pressing the Justice...
... Legal Defense and Education Fund (PRLDEF) officially opposed Bork, whose nomination by President Ronald Reagan was rejected by the Senate in 1987, "because of the threat he poses to the civil rights of the Latino community," its president reported in one of several documents from the group that the Senate Judiciary Committee released Wednesday.
And, from this:
David Kirkpatrick of the New York Times offers "Sotomayor’s Focus on Race Issues May Be Hurdle" (link). Kremlin watchers are invited to speculate on whether they're trying to get those issues out of the way now, whether they're trying to give her an easy pretext to withdraw, or something else.
Judge Sotomayor, whose parents moved to New York from Puerto Rico, has championed the importance of...
... illegal immigration-supporting PRLDEF; did she say or do anything interesting while a member? With Mexican-American leaders it's easy for me to tell their level of support for reconquista sentiments; I'm not familiar with Puerto Rican issues, and it's probably going to be difficult to find anyone to give the straight scoop on her position on issues like sovereignty.
UPDATE: Regarding that...
... were brought by LatinoJustice PRLDEF -- a New York City group formerly known as the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund -- in a petition before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, which is part of the Organization of American States...
Theirs is a purely symbolic gesture, and the most that could come out of it would be a sharply-worded rebuke from the OAS. However, it's...
... Professional Staff Congress (CUNY)
Queens Empowerment Centre for Haitian Immigrants
Sharing Hearts Network
St. Mary's Episcopal Church
United Neighborhood Houses
World Policy Institute
Women of Color Policy Network
Young Korean American Service and Education Center (YKASEC)
Riverside, New Jersey is one of the cities that have adopted "Hazleton-style" ordinances, and like other cities they're being sued by far-left, pro-illegal immigration organizations such as the ACLU. While this does cost those cities money, and the far-left foundations that support those far-left organizations have very deep pockets, at the end of the day the ACLU and their fellow travelers can...
... Legal Defense and Education Fund (PRLDEF)
* American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
* Wilkes-Barre attorneys Barry Dyller and George Barron
* Philadelphia's Cozen O'Connor law firm
In addition to various individuals, those supposedly harmed by the law include:
* Casa Dominica (described as a non-profit agency designed to "promote the Hispanic culture and empower the Hispanic community of Hazleton...