John Solomon, Washington Times editor, goes politically correct
Posted Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 6:54 am
A purported memo from John Solomon, new editor of the Washington Times, is here. It updates their style guide to remove scare quotes around certain phrases, and also:
1) Clinton will be the headline word for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton."Aliens" and "illegal aliens" are used in the U.S. Code many times. "Illegal immigrants" appears, as far as I can tell, only one time. And, while some might disagree, "immigrant" implies legality and in that way "illegal immigrant" is an oxymoron. It might also indicate that the Washington Times is starting down the slippery slope towards being like the Washington Post.
2) Gay is approved for copy and preferred over homosexual, except in clinical references or references to sexual activity.
3) The quotation marks will come off gay marriage (preferred over homosexual marriage).
4) Moderate is approved, but centrist is still allowed.
5) We will use illegal immigrants, not illegal aliens.